Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Nautie ideas

Since the use of stitch patterns came up, I just wanted to point out some ammonites that may be interesting models. You geologists and paleo geeks know that ammonites and friends evolved some really crazy shell textures and shapes. I was thinking of these guys on my walk to work today and how I could perhaps make different shell textures in knitting.

Perhaps alternate purl and knit rows?

Don't forget the heteromorphic (partly curled) guys:



In the Cretaceous ammonites went nuts with external and internal shell development. Maybe as a defense from sea reptiles?





Bobbles?

1 Comments:

Blogger Knitting Magic Girl said...

I'm going to work on a bobbled one next I think. I like the dactyloceras-like ammonites, so might play with that some.

11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home